Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Past Week in Review

Well, this whole past week was a blur. I had a rehearsal on Monday for a staged reading of a play by George McDonald titled "Straight to the Top". We will be performing it tomorrow. I hadn't had a chance to read it ahead of time but I felt confident that I could read aloud without too much fumbling. George seemed happy with what I did, so, I'm okay with it.
Tuesday was my friend Marie's birthday, we went to the Red House for dinner. I had amazing fried oysters as an appetizer and the risotto of the day. The cake was still somewhat frozen, but the custardy part was quite delicious.
Wed. I wanted to get out to Ups N' Downs in Dorchester because I was going to be performing a private party on Saturday and I was trying to work on my stand-up. I just didn't want to get too nervous and the only way for me to quell nerves (historically) is to practice as much as possible. It had been raining buckets all day and it was still pouring after I got home from work. I was really tired and I was comfortable and . .. . well. . . . I never got it together to leave the house. I just didn't want to get all the way down there and find out the building was closed because of flooding or bird flu or something. I felt guilty , even though no one was really expecting me. I had talked to my friend Kris and he said he might go over there. I left him a message saying I wasn't going to make it. Turns out he threw a tie rod on his way to the naked show , so, he didn't get anywhere. Also, kris said the Ups N' Downs ended up cancelling anyway. All that guilt for naught.
Thursday, I had worked it out to go do a set over at Lew's Place in Tewksbury. "Lew's Place" happens to be one of the top two ice skating rink/comedy clubs in Tewksbury. Since my last appearance there, the show has moved into the exercise room. I felt really guilty, because I don't even like looking at excercise equipment ! Kris had Winston Kidd host the show. Winston is a good guy and he's pretty funny if you just talk with him. He's about my age and divorced and bitter. He opened with his ex-wife material, which is pretty good, but the audience was mostly kids. I don't think most of them would bother to leave the home town to go to the big city to go see comedy . This is the big time for them . Or, at the very least , the beginning of them attending grown-up events . . . like this little comedy show. Usually , Kris hosts it. he hosts his show pretty much the way I imagine he would host a dinner party -make sure everyone is comfortable, maybe introduce a couple of people and then start telling jokes. Winston doesn't do that . I was going to go up second. Winston didn't really bond with the audience. Steve Gamblin leaned over to me to comment on the progress of the show and I said "Man , they are so not warmed up . This reminds me of my last boyfriend, after a little foreplay I was still dry and a little sore". .. . .Steve laughed. Then I tested it on Tanya Dalhouse -she laughed and then I think I threw it by Ellen Moschetto as well. It got all around comic apporval. That 's what I opened with. I think I brought some energy to the room . They seemed to be laughing.Winston seemed okay with it. The didn't give it up for a punchline of mine that ends ". . . and that's how you end up living with your mother and a cat !" Silence. "Oh! Wait ! You guys DO still live with your mother and a cat!" Nods, not laughs. And then, for some unknown reason, Kris streaked behind me onstage, without his shirt on. Now , that was funny! The kids liked that. Okay. Fine.
I should point out that the stage lighting is one aluminum utility light. The way it is postioned in the room, if someone crosses in front of it to get to the bar, the whole stage goes dark. That happened during my set , I didn't really know what to do. I just kept going. I didn't do all the material I had planned on doing but I got through it with enough laughs and I didn't get nervous and make myself unhappy that I had tried it. It was a rainy evening but it was fine. I am greatful to Kris for keeping that room going and making it available to me.
Friday night, I worked the benefit at the Charlestown Working theater. I had volunteered last year and returned again this year to help out. It makes it easy for the women who run the theater if they don't have to scrounge around for volunteers and it makes me feel connected to a place that I think of as mine. Also, the three bartenders-me, Kris Earle and John Orsorio -Buck made $22.00 each in tips. Granted, I know it's a charity event, but some people LIKE to tip after they get liquored up !!!! Lenny Clark came in and headlined-he was fantastic and he looks great. I was really impressed with Patti Ross . I didn't recall seeing her before, she's been around for a long time and all the comics know her. I thought she was really funny. The whole show was really funny. I don't know how Tony V puts together such a fantastic show each year, but he sure does. Also on the bill, but I didn't get to see them (because I was serving gin to the sailors) was Kevin Knox, Artie Januario and Steve Calechman. I didn't get to watch him, but he was getting some loud and hearty laughs. It was along but gratifying day.
Saturday, I worked at the record store and then headed out to Malden to perform at the private party. I know, you're think "Holy Shit Dot ! First Tewksbury and NOW Malden ! What's next ? Chelmsford ?!!!!" Yeah , kid, my career is going gangbsuters !!!! I assembled my set list early in the day and I knew what I was going to wear. So, I felt good going to the show.I got lost and I was 15 minutes later than I wanted to be there, but it all worked out. I thought the sound system needed some tweaking because of the accoustics in the building. I did okay. I did all the material I set out to do. I felt fine. I wished I was a little more exhilerated after the experience. It was what it was. I'm glad I got to do it and I didn't get freaked out . I met up with my friend Jan who is in town for a wedding and I got to see Julie, too. Jan Looks fantastic. She lost 75 pounds since the last time I saw her. It was inspiring.
And now, I must go to sleep. I have to work a convention tomorrow from 8 AM to 6 PM and then I need to scedaddle over to Jimmy Tingle's for the staged reading. It's going to be a long day tomorrow as well. Oh, I worked the booth today and my irritating cutomer of the day was an Asian woman who wnated to know where the Old South Church was . I told her it was on the Freedom Trail. "Where on the Freedom Trail ?" It's on your map ! Look at your map ! "Show Me ?" WTF ? Anybody out there know how to read a map that is of a red line actually painted on the sidewalk in front of you ? I calmed down and got over it, but it was a slamming busy day.
And , now , to bed. .. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home