Monday, June 05, 2006

Marking Time

I worked the booth today. It was steady all day, despite the overcast sky and cooler temperatures. It was a gray day .I would say the project of the day was trying to come up with the appropriate adjective for one of my co-workers. I think of him as vicious, however, he prefers "hateful" which I think is stronger than vicious. Finally, David came upon "Iconoclastic", which we all agreed fit the best.
Earlier in the week, a tearful junkie woman came into the booth asking for a ranger because someone had taken her bags that she had hidden in the park. She was sobbing and told us that she had asked one of the Parks guys if it was okay for her to leave her bags, wherever she left them and the guy said okay. A) "Some guy" doesn't really have any say in that sort of thing and B) I'm sure she didn't ask or tell anyone what she panned to do. During her tearful plea to the Rnager she stated "I Don't use drugs and I always throw away my needles and pipes". Ladies and Gentelmen of the jury, I rest my case. Though I believe she did lose her stuff, I couldn't help but feel she was going to try and scam us with sympathy. You can't leave your luggage on the Common. Even if it doesn't get stolen, it's going to get thrown away. Or worse, the bomb squad will come and blow it up.
Tonight , I did stand-up at the Emerald Isle. It's hosted by two guys that can be very funny situationally and they are very likeable guys but , man , they make a show long. Though I am greatful for them extending me the stage time. I had to be there at 7:30 , I got there at 7:45 and the show started at 8:55. That makes for a long night for me. I worked all day and I'm covering for a co-worker tomorrow morning. I'm trying to get myself in a little better stand-up shape because I'm doing a benefit for a friend on Saturday and I don't want to be all stiff. The tiny audience dwindled as the evening wore on. I did do some new material that I wanted to try and I was getting laughs for the older stuff but I was weary by the time I took stage and a little unfocused. I tried to have fun, but I really wanted to be in my jammies watching a re-run of Grey's Anatomy. I think that's probably a bad attitude.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

"I tried to have fun, but I really wanted to be in my jammies..."

Right there is the distillation of a night of comedy performing for a lot of folks.

Monday, June 05, 2006 2:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home