Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Okay, I'm Home

Leaving Edinburgh, Andy asked me if I would carry a bag for him. Because on Flyglobespan, they're pretty strict on the weight limits. I was pretty sure I didn't meet the weight limit , so , I agreed to carry his bag for him. Twice I apologized in advance, in case the bags arrive late and twice he responded "No problem, there is nothing in there that I need. Just make sure you take the should strap off and put it in the side pocket. ". Given the reinforced responses, one would believe he meant it. He may have believed it, but there was definitely something in that bag that he needed . . .. .his passport. Fortunately, I found it before the bag got checked . I found it when I opened the side pocket to put the strap in and there was his passport.
So , now we had to get ahold of Andy. Dee had already taken the SIM card out of her phone and it was hard for her to make an international call with her Iphone. Just as we are standing there looking at the Iphone, my name was paged and I was called to the Courtesy desk, it was Andy. I , mistakenly, admitted that the bag belonged to someone else but that I had watched it get packed. I had watched him pack a bag and I thought it was the one he gave me, but I still don't know what I saw him pack. I had to endure a lecture from the girl (and by "Girl" I mean she was about 22, young enough to be my hypothetical daughter) about not accepting bags from strangers. I admit Andy is a little strange, but he is far from being a stranger to me. Dee was trying to contain her horror at my response and simultaneously trying to resolve the situation to where Andy would actually get this very necessary document. He was on his way to the airport to connect with us, my plane was already boarding and Dee's was leaving a half hour after that. We were going to have to rely on the kindness of strangers. I still don't know if Andy made it home. I hurriedly parted company with Dee -she to find the Lost and Found to leave Andy's passport and me up the stairs to try and get on that plane. I was one of the last people on the plane. I never did get a chance to peruse the shops in the departure area. I bought a bottle of water and a candy bar from a vending machine. The plane departed right on schedule. No thanks to me.
Apparently I was on the coughing baby plane. There were three little girls sitting in the row ahead of me who open mouth coughed the whole way home . I could tell that one of the little girl's coughs was getting progressively worse the further we went. By the end of the trip, the mother had finally caught the same cough. They were the Hackers from Hackensack. Three turburcular little vectors of disease. The one that got gradually sicker sounded like she had been smoking 2 packs a day.Frankly, I thought all three had bronchitis. I had no sympathy. I can't believe the mother didn't have cough drops or at the very least admonish them to cover their mouths when they coughed. No. Nothing. Now I've got a sore throat. There should be some sort of rule about parents who don't care for their children. But there isn't.
When I arrived in Newark, I went through customs, got my bags, brought them to the transfer point and tried to find the gate for my plane. We landed at terminal C and I thought my connecting flight was leaving form terminal A. I took the monorail to terminal A and couldn't find a gate with a number that high so I asked an official guy and he tolded me I had to go back to terminal C, where I had just come from. I got back on the monorail and went back to where I had just come from. I found the right gate and figured I'd ask if they could transfer my flight to Boston, instead of Manchester. They did and it was leaving in an hour ! Yay ! Back to terminal A. . . . . I went through security checks 3 times. Each time I went to the wrong terminal, I ended up going through a security check. In the final check , I misplaced my O magazine. I had planned on finishing it and handing off to my ride. The security checks were long and the clientele were testy. Most of the TSA officers weren't all that conversant in either the English language or good customer service. I probably wouldn't be all that great if I was only making $14.00 an hour , either.
I was able to contact Kiki before she left work to let her know I'd be coming in to Boston, instead of Manchester and a couple of hours sooner, to boot. 2 of my bags made the transfer and the third bag got delivered this morning. Kiki and I stopped to get something to eat before I went home. Today , I've partially unpacked and I've done 3 loads of laundry so far. I am currenty showered and I need to call Andy to return his cursed bag to him. I have no idea if my car will run. I really should have done more with my day today, but I am really tired and somewhat unmotivated.
I really had a great time hanging around with everyone. I wish that Brian Longwell and Kris Earle had been there. I also wish Rain Pryor had been around. I'm glad I went and I'm glad to be home. Now what am I gonna do ?

3 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Dot, you made it! Yay.

Sorry my horror wasn't better disguised. But, yeah, I'm not good with security lectures about terrorism from children.

I'm glad you got a Boston flight.

I slept like a baby last night. But, it was fun while it lasted.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:55:00 PM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Oh, and damn, I meant to give you a vitamin booster pack for your water on the plane. It's like Airborne. Extra immunity to fight off the infectious diseases of the unwashed flying masses.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger bigtiny said...

When I get a flight with coughing people around me, I usually just force myself to start vomiting.....that usually gets them away from me.

bigtiny

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home