Monday, June 04, 2007

Me & Mr. Frosty

The first chapter of Stephen Kings' book "the Cell" starts at the corner of Boylston and Arlington Streets in downtown Boston at the corner of the Public Garden. At the Mr. Frosty ice cream truck, to be exact. The armageddon starts there with a softserve cone and a cell phone call, according to Little Stevie. I can think of no better place for that to happen.
Yesterday, on my lunch , I took a walk up to the Public Garden. I almost ran out of time to get a soft serve, almost. . .but not quite. I got a small chocolate. It 's all very green and shady over there in the Public Garden. I walked along the Boylston Street path and looked at the statues of prominent men cut down in their prime-Sumner, Kusckusko, some other guy. It passed the time.
I like the idea that I am within walking distance of a fictional/literary scene/ event. It's fun to see how well Mr. King described the neighborhood. It was my own little literary walking trail. Yesterday was a lot colder than expected . Fortunately, I had thrown on a fleece jacket before I left the house, so I wasn't freezing. Saturday had been sweltering, so the temperature yesterday was really unexpected.
After work, my buddy Keith and I shot up to Woodmans in Essex. There was no traffic and no wait when we got there. There was hardly anyone there, because of the weather. Man, I love fried clams ! They do them really good up there. They use a cornmeal batter and it makes the clams that much sweeter. Woodman's claims to have invented the fried clam. Though Farnhams down the street also claims that distinction. I don't care , I've eaten at both places and I prefer Woodmans.
Okay , I know this blog entry is not going to make John Updike doubt his talent. I'm just trying to keep writing. It's something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home