Saturday, May 26, 2007

Apparently. . . . . I Suck

I went up to Gardner Massachusetts tonight , gateway to the Mohawk Trail and "Furniture City" for those of you in the know, to Williams Pub for a comedy competition. It was modestly titled "Comedy Idol" Contest. I was mostly thinking "I'm not doing anything tonight. I should drive an hour for 5 minutes of stage time. It'll be good for me." Hindsight says "Wrong. It was not good for me" In fact , it was somewhat discouraging and disappointing. Not quite humiliating, because frankly, I don't care what the good voting people of Williams Pub in Gardner think of me. I'm never going back THERE again .
There were 6 of us in this contest. The winner got 12 points out of a possible 15. I got 4. So, that means that 4 of the "judges" gave me 1 point and the 5th held up "What the hell was that ?" card. I didn't tailor my material to the rural tastes of the community. Possibly, none of them have ever been to Boston or rode on a subway. They are untainted of homeless people. I did no homophobic jokes. It's not like the other 5 comics or the host was getting all that great of a reaction either. The Sox game was on and the quaint little comedy show was of little interest to most of the clientele.
I should have stayed home. I don't feel very good about myself. I'm thinking of shaving my head and joining a Buhddist Nunnery -that has some very positive selling points for me right now. I gotta figure out my life. I am going nowhere , slow.

6 Comments:

Blogger acaguilera said...

I CANNOT believe you would let the rotten people of Gardner decide that you should get rid of your hair. And it would suck to find out that Buddhist nuns and monks are really just comics who had a bad night in a crummy club.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Honest to God, competitions are an abomination to comedy.

Don't shave your head, unless you really want to, as I'm sure you would have a lovely cranium.

And, remember, the great masses of the human race no shit about shinola. For fuck's sake, some of them live in Western Mass. and they don't even have to.
http://www.scribesworld.com/writersniche/articles/FamousRejections.htm

Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Of course, that should say "know shit..."

I'm one of those masses, and clearly I don't know shit from shinola.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Dot Dwyer said...

For the record, the Yokels of Gardner do not define me. I am just not in a good space work-wise. When I have financial issues, they color my view of everything .I went up there feeling pretty good about myself and came back not feeling so good about myself. I'll be ok.
For the record, a study was done of the inhabitants of the 3 leading Buddhist convents in the world and most of the community members were comprised of former bookkeepers, Art History majors and reformed open mikers. .. I'm just saying. . . .

Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger bigtiny said...

What do you mean you're going "nowhere....slowly"....you went to fuckin' Gaahhhhhhdnnnnnaaahhhhhh didn't you? Normally you'd have to get a job as a third shift courier for a bank or something to make it out there!!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about what the denizens of that fine borough though about your comedy talent......they're still waiting to get tickets to the next KISS show!!!

BTW....I'm thinkin' it's about time for a Woodman's run.....how about you?

bigtiny

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:15:00 PM  
Blogger bigtiny said...

What do you mean you're going "nowhere....slowly"....you went to fuckin' Gaahhhhhhdnnnnnaaahhhhhh didn't you? Normally you'd have to get a job as a third shift courier for a bank or something to make it out there!!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about what the denizens of that fine borough though about your comedy talent......they're still waiting to get tickets to the next KISS show!!!

BTW....I'm thinkin' it's about time for a Woodman's run.....how about you?

bigtiny

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home