Friday, June 08, 2007

Feet as Transportation

As often happens after I've had a meal with my buddy Keith, I will recall some snippet of the conversation that makes absolute crystal clear sense to me and then, a couple of days later , I act on it. The particular bit of dialogue was about exercise and how if you just walk a half hour a day, you can keep yourself in shape and might lose some wieght. I currently look like I'm in my 5th month of a pregnancy, which is impossible unless the aliens got me when I was sleeping on a bus or in the middle of a corn field, which I am not inclined to do. . . I'm carrying the weight around my waiste, the heart attack zone. They say if you're "apple" shaped , for some reason , that body type is more inclined to heart attacks. I'm not afraid of dying form a heart attack , I 'm more concerned about surviving in a diminished capacity . Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere.
I had also read in some magazine that sometimes, if you can' t block out a whole half hour , you can sneak in 10 minute walks during the day . Like taking the stairs instead of an elevator or parking as far away from the entrance of the mall as you can , thus ensuring a little aerobic boost before spending money which don't have . You can also "stockpile" your exercise. So, that if you walk for an hour one day , you can take credit for it towards another day in the week.
"Aha ! " says I.
Wed., after work, I walked to a different train station and got in about 20 minutes extra. Thursday morning , I got the earlier bus , got off a stop early and took the long way to the booth and got in a half hour before work. After work, I planned to walk from the Common to Massachusetts Ave. via the Commonwealth Mall.Then get the N #1 Dudley bus. I estimated it would take about a half hour. It did. The Commonwealth Mall is a really pretty section right smack dab in the middle of the city. It's a green area right down the middle of Commonwealth Ave with lots of benches and statues. There are a lot of trees so it's shady and cool. I felt like a tourist. I felt like I was back in Paris or Edinburgh walkng around because I didn't have to be anywhere at any time, in particular.
When I got to Massachusetts Avenue, there was no bus in sight and I could still walk, so, I figured I'd walk over the bridge over the Charles and get the bus in front of MIT. A bus did pull up , but there was no room. SO, I figured I'd walk to Central Square and pick up teh bus to Harvard Square, surely the next bus wouldn't be as crowded. By the time I got to Central Square, I figured, "It's not that far to Harvard Square, how much longer could it take ? 20 minutes ? " So, I walked all the way to Harvard Square. It took an hour and a half. I got in two hours of exercise yesterday. So, in 2 days , I got in over 210 minutes of walking. That's 30 minutes a day for 7 days. I have met the Governmental requirements. I won't die of a heart attack , this week.
Though, mostly , I think it's cool that I could walk that far and not be out of breath. I was a little sweaty , but that 's good. I think my ultimate goal would be to walk from home all the way into Boston. Maybe that will be a goal for me. You know, John Adams used to walk from his house near Braintree all the way into Boston to go to work. Why he walked instead of taking a horse, I don't know. Maybe parking was just as bad then, as it is now in Boston ?

2 Comments:

Blogger bigtiny said...

Adams walked because his horse died from walking from Braintree to Boston every day! Ba Da Bing!

bigtiny

Friday, June 08, 2007 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

That's the way to do it.

They had a walking contest at work, and they handed out pedometers. The goal was to get at least 10,000 steps a day. It helped me go a little bit further. But, I'm pretty OCD.

Also, go the bathroom at the bathroom that's further away if that's an option. Unless it's an emergency.

Friday, June 08, 2007 2:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home