Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Blob on a Log

Aaahhhhh. .. I shouldn't have put my jammies on . I should have planned to go out somewhere. I HAD planned to come home and catch up on some paperwork. I did a load of laundry. I had dinner and now I'm in my sweats and tshirt cruising channels and writing a blog. This is not paperwork and none of the clutter is going away.
I worked the booth today. We got two new kids. Nice kids . They aren't too familiar with downtown Boston , but they've been better than most so far.
Last week, I found a wheelchair from Brigham and Womens Hospital on the Common. Actually , it was left near our back door like some wheelchair foundling. It had a phone number stencilled on the back. My manager called the number and was told that somebody would be coming to retrieve it. It was still there Sunday and it was still there when I came in today. So,I called Brigham and Womens and I was told that someone would come and get it . I told them we close at 5. It was still there when I left today. If it's there when I go to work tomorrow, I will call them at 9 am, noon and 3 PM , just to see what kind of results it gets.
Speaking of "Results" I had a woman come into the booth today looking for help in finding shelter, a bed for the night . I called Rosies place. She definitely needed help. I couldn't tell if she had just gotten out of a hospital or jail. She looked to be in her early 20's. Maybe not all the way through the ringer but she seemed liek she could go either way . I didn't have an AA meeting list pamphlet to give her.We keep them for just such an occassion. Maybe alcohol wasn't her problem. She asked me if she could use the phone, I'm not supposed to let customers use the phone. She just asked me to call her Dad to let him know she was okay. I did. I was willing to get in trouble. She seemed sincere. Her poor Dad didn't know who I was-why should he ? She just wanted to call her Dad to let him know she was okay. I hope she will be okay.
I called Rosies Place and they way the explained it, is if she could get there by 4:30 she could be put on an available bed list. If she couldn't get a bed , they would help to find her a bed. That's a tough way to live. It's a tough choice to keep making. I hope I don't see her again, unless she's okay.
I guess that's a good enough reason to go to work, ain't it ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home