Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Running With Scissors

It was a dark overcast day today, here in Mast-ta-Chew-sitts. It was raining, drizzling all day. Damp and cold, but not freezing.
Kiki and I went to see "Running with Scissors" tonight, it is based on Augusten Burroughs life story. What a screwed up young adulthood this kid had. His mother was a completley self-centered woman and his Dad was a hopeless alcoholic and then his mother had her therapist adopt young Augusten and , well .. . . . .. it could have had a worse outcome.
Annette Bening was spot -on as the self-centered/crazy Mom. I'm sure she'll get an Oscar nomination for this one. Alec Baldwin played the distant Dad-well played and so sad . Brian Cox was perfect as the conniving manipulative therapist. Jill Clayburgh seemed the most "normal"-tragic, but the most compassionate character.
Since I have read some of his writing, I feel that the movie was very close to what he wrote. However, it's not a feel good film and the selfishness of the characters made them unlikeable. Though they were benign by comparison to some kid sired by crack parents in a poor community, they were still pretty shitty. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think it 's a "great" film.
Okay, that's it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home