Monday, October 02, 2006

The Guardian

Kiki and I went to see "the Guardian" tonight. It stars Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher and a bunch of other faces you've seen before including Boston's own Neil McDonough (maybe I spelt it wrong, but you'd recognize the face !) It's about officers in training at the Coast Guard Academy.Ashton played the character well. I was concerned that he would spend a lot of time mugging for the camera. Also, I thought Costner was very real in his character. There is a scene near the end where his charcter is very vulnerable and I don't think I 've ever seen him do that in a film ( for the record , I don't currnetly have a personal relationship with Mr. Costner. So, I would only see him do anything in a film . . . or a talk show). I thought it was really well done, but I couldn't help occasionally comparing it to "An Officer and a Gentleman", which I think I saw like 4 times the summer it came out. We missed the beginning but saw enough of it to understand an important plot point.
I liked it because it's nice for me to believe that there are people out there who try to do the right thing. Kiki would have liked there to be more about their training and how it would affect their lifesaving skills, she is a registered Master Diver. I appreciated the overall quest for excellence, on so many levels. I sat there wishing I was striving for excellence in some area of my life. I 'm mostly just trying to get through the day. I wish I could work some sit-ups or push-ups into my schedule, every once and a while.
Okay , that's it. Apparently, Bob Saget came into the booth on Saturday and he wouldn't pay the $2.00 for the map.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Ha. We saw "The Guardian" on Friday. My take-away was "aww, Ashton cried."

One thing I liked, despite an utter absence of character/plot development -- There was an African American woman trainee throughout the whole training and up to graduation. I don't think she had any lines and was clearly window dressing, but it had to be the first time a flick just let a black woman be.

I'm always rooting for the extras!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 4:13:00 AM  
Blogger Dot Dwyer said...

As well you should ! I didn't notice her in the credits, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts she had dialouge that got cut out. She'll get the checks, but her friends will scratch their heads and think "That's it?" Because. . . that's how it goes !

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home