Thursday, April 27, 2006

Shortlived Redemption

I really have to stop whining. Frankly , I 'm just disappointed in myself. I'm glad I tried some new stuff, but I am so fatigued that I couldn't get back to the regular material. My brain is like swiss cheese. . not clinically , it's all still there. .. but I think parts of my brain are organizing a strike to shut down for sleep and thinking about how am I going to carve up this week's paycheck. I am either hormonally challenged or clinically depressed. . both diagnosises would require a trip to a medical professional and I simply don't have the time.
So , as assessed at the mid-show break, the show was , at best, "Sparse". Dan Sally achieved sparse. He had adorable little girl friends sitting up front and center but they were the type of girls whose idea of fun was to change clothes and drink. It's okay that they didn't laugh at me . (No seriously, I had friends in the audience, you don't matter to me Mean Girls). they really weren't laughing at anything, not even Dan . . . and they were his friends !They didn't give anything up until Micah Sherman got down and dirty with them. I now worship at the altar of Micah Sherman ( sorry Mr. Poulton). He got right in their faces and practically spit on them . That was the kind of attention they needed to start laughing. Spitting on them . Spraying them with bacteria laden spit. Mother of God, I can only hope they got charged too much on their drinks.
On the show was the Great Andrea Henry,she was mentioned in the Globe today. Brian Gordon, David Powell and 3 comics that came out from the North Hampton area -Ann Podolske, who I had done shows with at Jimmy Tingle's theater, Jennifer Myszkowski, and Mike Lemme. Mike Lemme looks like the child David and Chris Walsh would produce if they could actually reproduce. .. with each other. Mike Lemme tried to get the waitress to give him a kiss as "Audience participation" . . .. Mike Lemme is 16 years old, seriously.I feel worse for the comics who came all the way from Northampton for this show. I can tuck my tail between my legs and be home licking my wounds in 20 minutes.. .. but the ride back . .. dissecting that show . . ..they'll probably just pull over at a rest stop, roll up the windows, and leave the car running.
Mike Whitman had even more new material. He's a comic who almost always has something that surprises me. I don't want to repeat the joke, but he did a joke that I thought was beautiful, disgusting and scary, but beautiful.
I only have 4 shows left. I hope I spend them wisely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dot Dwyer said...

JJ, that picture is HOT!!!!! Thank you for your support. I have already learned a lot and I am going to tuck in and barrell through.Trying to remember to have fun, because that's what it's supposed to be.And sleep, the sweet release of sleep and junk food , followed by good food, followed by more sleep. I am never going to get to work today . . . .

Friday, April 28, 2006 12:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home