Friday, August 26, 2005

Back in The Saddle

August 25,2005-4:35 AM-The Flat
Well, today I rushed out to Andrew's Story Telling show. Andy was hosting and I got there during Brian's set. Andrew was doing another show and came later. After the show, we hiked on over to Jimmy Chung's under the North Bridge for an all you can eat buffet. It was real good. They had french fries on the buffet table.
I had to rush back to the flat because I had promised Cal and Rain that I would help staple some notices to post cards. ( Basically, she got a 4 out 5 star review and the custom here is to staple stars and a snippet of the review to the post cards that are handed out. A menial and repetitive task, but I shall be rewarded hansomly).
Then we headed out for the Naked Show. I have steadfastedly refused to attend the Naked shows in Boston , but tonight's show was a hoot and I am sure it will become a legend . People will claim they were there. I can verify they were not ! They sold only three tickets and teh rest of teh audience was Brian,me, Comics and people who work at the Baby Belly. I thought Kris Earle had the best set, but the show stopper was Leon Fleury, Victor and Dean Cameron (From Nigerian Spam Scam Scam) (Dean did teen movies in teh 80's). They acted out the joke of teh Aristocrats-NAKED- with fake body fluids . Brilliant ! I luaghed so hard.
Before teh show , I was flyering down the bottom of teh alley when the guys from "Scotland 4-Australia -1" came by and said they had heard about the show. I jokingly said "I knwo the producer, if you want to be on teh show." and teh guy said "Yeah ! I've heard about it ! I'll do it ! " I've never had an easier time getting a guy naked. Maybe my approach has been wrong all these years. Maybe I just need to seek out an extrovert and invite hime to perform naked "On my show . . . ." Ah, good times, good times . . .. . . Though we probably should have had some sort of audition process. His name was Keiran Butler, he was good , but it could ahve gone horribly wrong.
Tonight's shgow restored my faith. It was edgy and scary and funny. And it was performed in a cave ! We all hung out at the Baby Belly Bar afterward, liek we ahd gone through something together and the speicalness and difficulty was invited to linger. It was fun hanging out and laughing.
Afterward, we went to the Gilded Baloon and I had my daily dose of curry chips (with cheese) and tehn we headed to Spank. Leon was still flying off the Naked Show, but I think it lead to a good show for them . Saw a lot of comics. An American named Dan Purdee (I think ). He's working on a show about men and women ( I know novel) but I think all of his theories are predicated on an audience in the 18-30 range. But I'm still thinking about his set.
REginald D. Hunter was the guy we came to see. He was very powerful , and he had some funny lines, but he was more just a powerful presence. Mostly sharing thoughts instead of heavy setup/punch line bits. He apparently just broke up with his girlfriend 3 months ago and he's questioning a lot of things about his life. He was worth seeing, but it wsan't because he was funny.

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret Ann said...

I remember Reginald Hunter.... saw him a coupleof times at the late night show at C Venue. He was real good. I took pictures of Greyfriars too. I had curry fries in Galway. THey were real good. I wish I was there with you. Do you prefer tacos, or tofu pot pie?

Friday, August 26, 2005 9:57:00 AM  
Blogger Margaret Ann said...

Oh and is there anything more glorious than the big Boots store in Princes St?

Friday, August 26, 2005 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Oh man I'm jealous. I remember my first naked show...

Insert bittersweet nostalgia here.

Glad to hear you perkier. Come out to NoCal and visit so I can make you the sympathetic cup of tea.

Friday, August 26, 2005 11:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home