Monday, December 15, 2008

Faking It til I be "Makin' It"


Aahhhhh. . the Christmas season is upon us and I am having a hard time rustling up the spirit.When I was younger, I would so look forward to the parties and the gifts -both buying and receiving. I would regularly start my shopping in August and be almost completed by October. That lost its allure for me . I would get so torqued up about the gifts I was giving that no one could possibly respond with nearly enough enthusiasm. I finally figured out I was setting myself up for a fall. SO, now I really don't start until after Thanksgiving.

On Saturday, I put the Christmas window up at the record store. I know it's kind of late but I really couldn't get myself to do it before then. I had planned on doing it the rpevious Saturday , but it was so busy, I was just too exhausted to stick around at the end of the day to do it. So , I went in about an hour early and started decorating the window. I got about half of it done before we opened and finished the rest of it in fits and starts throughout the day. It came out pretty good ! I will try and take a picutre with my phone and post it here (but don't get your hopes up !). My friend , Angelynn, who is a graphic designer, said she thought it was a good use of the merchandise. I made little vignettes in the wooden boxes we have for sale that are in the window. I arranged the display around the product. My boss said it was good . He said there was a lot of stuff to look at . Essentially, if people stop to look at all the little arrangements, they will linger a while, and perhaps enter the store to make a purchase. Support your local business ! I felt good that it was finally done.

I went to a Christmas party of a co-worker on Saturday night. I made my famous dip. It was a lovely place. However, one room contained all his co-workers from where we work together and the other room contained all the people from his other work and then there were a couple of people who didn't work with the host sort of floating between the rooms. Though I had a nice time, I didn't really make any new aquaintances.

I wore what I had worn to work that day. In an effort to get my "Christmas" up, I wore a green sweater, a geen t-shirt with Santa on it and my kitty-cat Santa earrings . Sometimes getting dressed in a festive mood helps me. I also put some mardi gras beads in my hair. I may have looked a little creepy. Oh well. .

Tonight is the record store party. We all look forward to it.It's nothing fancy, just everybody who doesn't work together regularly- gets to see each other. I've been there for over 25 years now. It's turned into quite a tradition for us. I have yet to make the dip and I have some gifts I still have to wrap. I look forward to it. I will go over after work tonight.

Maybe I just need to listen to some festive music ? Boy, my heart just ain't in it. .. . .


2 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

This advice may not apply to everyone, but I'd recommend taunting a French co-worker with tasteless American decorations to boost your merriment. Nothing like someone criticizing bedazzled clothing to make me want to head to the craft store.

I'll try to take a picture of the horrible T-shirt I made as a gift for her. Ho Ho Ho. Merry XMas.

(I finally mailed out this year's post card. That makes me feel more Christmas-y.)

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:50:00 AM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Oh, and look on my website. I was thinking of giving you a sample jar for your holiday and year round baking.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home