Saturday, October 07, 2006

Comedy Studio Tonight

I did the Comedy Studio tonight. The show that was the intended object of my well-intentioned preperation. Though it was initially a small crowd, it ended up being a really great show. Rick, the host, looked awesome in a black suit/black shirt/red tie combo. He started the show with some new jokes and then he brought this month's Comic in Residence-Renata Tutko. I really like her writing and performance style. The first time I saw her, I could hear Mitch Hedberg's cadence, and the same intelligence behind her material. I think this first time I saw her perform , was actually her second time performing ever. Anyhow, she did new stuff AND she told me a new joke that she's working on, after her set.. I can't wait to see it in front of an audience. Then , it was Debra Farrar-Parkman, she also did new stuff. She 's also looking great. Then Peter Bowers, He's always working on something new. He did a good job.
Brian Gordon was next, also some new material. He's so high energy and very likeable, he really got the audience going. Then JJ Leslie. .. .ALSO did new material. Then Mike Dorval did a guest set. Mike does such a great job-the jokes are well written and well performed. He brings all his acting skills to bare. He's just funny and likeable.
Then Me. . . SO, I think I'm the only one that wasn't really doing new material. I was mostly trying not to talk too fast. I did remember one of the new jokes and found something else new onstage. I think I had a good enough rapport with the audience. I told the Coffee can bit and , when I got to the end, I went to say the punch line that I needed to have a set up for earlier. I told it anyway, and then I explained to the audience that I had forgotten the original set-up. They seemed to like that. I closed with my traditional Studio closing "well, I guess that's good enough. Back to Rick." Though I felt good about the set , 30 seconds after I left the stage I remembered the two other things I had wanted to try. See, I think a little preperation would go a long way with me. . .. .
Then it was Micah Sherman, a solid job. Then , it was James Patterson. Also a great writer and performer. I had seen him when he had just moved to LA and he blew the doors off the other comics. I don't think it was all new material , but it seemed like there was a lot of new stuff. Then the Walsh Brothers closed. I can't quite explain what it is that they do or why I think it is so good. They tell stories. They don't know how they're going to tell the story, they just know where they want to end up. I thought it was wonderful. I briefly got to talk with Chris after the show, just to say hi.
It was a great show. I really enjoyed it without worrying about how I was going to perform. I hung out afterward and it was just nice conversation, slightly political , but it remained friendly. We may have solved the world's problems. ..
It was a beautiful evening for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home