Saturday, April 15, 2006

Show # 10

It was a packed house tonight. Val Kappa had car trouble and couldn't make it. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing her.My friend Keith came to the show. He's a musician. He was genuinely laughing throughout the show. I was glad he saw such a good show to justify the climb up the three flights of stairs. After Paul Day, he asked me "Do you know him ? Do you really know that guy ?".
For my money , Benari Poulton had the set of the night.Or, I should say, there were some outstanding performances tonight, for me Benari was the most surprising. He did his impression of Rick Jenkins. He did some of Rick's material and had his mannerisms down. . .and . .then . . he did "The Aristocrats " joke as Rick Jenkins. The punchline was a punchline from one of Ricks' jokes. I am not worthy to stand on a stage that Benari has stood on. Thoughtful and well executed. Beautiful in a very awful way.
Tony Moschetto had a set down town , so he went on first. He did great . I did not want to go on after him. Beautiful. . .he did poetry, actual poems and made them hilarious.
My set went okay. Upon reflection, I 'm realizing I don't know how to hear the laughs. I'm doing the material, and when I change it up , I throw my rythmn off. I really need to think just far enough ahead to put a bona fide laugh at the end. I change it up and then I get to the end and I'm not ending with a laugh. It's not discouraging, but it feels so fundamental that I should just know it. I felt okay about my performance, but it wasn't fulfilling. I feel like I left the table before I was full.
So, Brian Longwell had a great set. He just got back from the Comedy Festival in DC. Mike Bent had agreat set. I don't know why but every thrid time I see that overgrown sea monkey bit, I laugh hysterically . Thom Brown did a set and , apparently, he hasn't performed in quite a while. Tony V closed the show. He was great . He didn't do any of the material he did last night and killed . How does he do that ? He was great. He was my friend Keith's favorite.
Thom Brown's wife, Lynn, commented that I was the only woman on the show . I didn't even notice. It was a great show. It's really great for me to be at the Studio every night to see these shows and the performers changing it up (or not changing it up) and how it affects their performances. It' s just great to be seeing shows every night. I still get such a rush out of being at a show. Especially if I'm performing on it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Videos. I need videos. Especially of Benari Jenkins.

It's great to hear you thinking about your stuff and your own stage presence. I hope you are recording each show to measure your own changes.

Was Paul as Paul or as that other guy? I can imagine why people would think know would could know the actual Paul Day (or admit it anyway).

Saturday, April 15, 2006 1:54:00 AM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Oh yeah, and

Saturday, April 15, 2006 1:54:00 AM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Sorry. Oh, yeah, and what the heck were you doing enjoying comedy when Jesus is still dead right now. Go say the rosary or something.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 1:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home