Thursday, April 06, 2006

3rd Show

As previously noted, I'm not re-inventing the comedy wheel. Levon Schpeiser had his first show tonight and he brought like 20 of his buddies from school. Levon is 17. He did his first stand-up set tonight, his Mom brought him . Cool Mom ! I think I'm older than his Mom. .. these kids were young. My material might not connect with them . . . Probably shouldn't have worried about that out loud. I probably shouldn't have tried out the new pedophile joke tonight, either. Or, if I did try out the new joke, I should have made sure it was better written. I know the major chunk is there, now I gots to find the funny. I felt comfortable enough to try the new stuff.
I need to work on the crowd work. I don't think I really need to wait for a response to "How ya Doin?". .. takes too long. Unless it's a set-up to something. I forgot one of my bits again, because my timing was off with the new joke. Sometimes, when I'm onstage , I am performing the mental equivalent of rifling the kitchen drawers looking for the scissors. They're there someplace, but I'll be damned if I can find them when I need them. Like my brain is still in the break room, when the rest of the body is back at work.
I did what I set out to do, warm 'em up without crying or peeing on stage. I was hoping to end on a laugh ( I heard audiences should laugh at the jokes.) ( There should be jokes) Anyway, I ended my set with "Well, I guess that's good enough".
I want to take advantage of this opportunity. I should be trying something new every show except Friday & Saturday. Again, this doesn't have to the second coming of Phyllis Diller, I should just take a chance .

3 Comments:

Blogger acaguilera said...

I don't know if you care to hear opinions about comedy, but here it goes: I have always hated when I go to see stand up and the comedian asks "how are you doin' tonight?", or "is everybody having a good time?" They seem like pointless things to ask. I always prefer when comedians just get right to it. Or even if they just start with "hello" and start. I find it more interesting. When I am obliged to respond I often feel like the comedian is forcing me to get them started. I say you don't ask them how they are. Who cares? Obviously they want to laugh, and you know you're funny, so just get to it.

I WISH I could see you do your stuff!!! I know it's funny.

xxxooo

Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:37:00 AM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Since providing Dot comedy tips seems de rigueur these days...

I read this last night and went to bed thinking -- Do new jokes on Friday adn Saturday, too. Or compile the new stuff from Wednesday and Thursday.

Please, pretty please.

If you are not because of your own anxiety, I have said too much and you should please yourself.

But, if you are doing it out of some kind of respect to the Studio, please don't. Its roots are as a workout room, at its best, people experiment and innovate. You should be experimenting and innovating up a storm.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Korte said...

What does de rigueur mean?

Saturday, April 08, 2006 12:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home