Friday, January 25, 2008

Cul-Chah

Those of you who have spent time on the east coast and are familiar with the indigenous peoples (2nd and 3rd generation Boston Irish) that's how the word "Culture" sounds when it is spoken after someone's cousin has gone to the Musuen of Fine Arts and it wasn't on a school field trip. For the purposes of this blog , that would be me. Since I haven't been in class in a few years now, except for the occasional acting class, I'm all graduated. However, I went to the MFA last night to view the last of the Napoleon exhibit. Yeah . . .. I had a free ticket. I've had that ticket since it opened a couple of months ago. I even have a second ticket that someone I work with couldn't use and gave to me .So, if you know me and think you want to go between now and Sunday , when it closes, let me know. I have it in my wallet. Come get it, it's yours for the taking. . .. the ticket that is.
So, I fit it in after work. I hopped on the Green line and made it there in 15 minutes. I'm not a Francophile, but I love seeing fine craftsmanship in all it's varying forms. Man, Napolen knew how to live ! He had a lot of rugs and furniture and gigantic paintings of himself. These paintings had to have been at least twice his size ! He adopted a lot of Roman imagery . He had a lot of bees and the letter "N" woven into his fabric and carved on his furniture. He was married twice ( I didn't know that !). His sister was "Flirty" ( I think maybe a polite word for "Slutty"). There was a cup that was shaped like her breast . You could buy a copy of it for a couple thousand dollars. No lie, it was available for sale in the gift store where the exhibit dumps you out.
The womens fashions were simple, embroidered and floor length. They even had some stuff from the beheaded monarchs-Louis 14 and Marie Antoinette. There were a lot of plates and cups and beautifully carved gold, silver and brass. It was a lovely and brief exhibit. In the corridors going to and from the special exhibit rooms are other pieces of art including shoes. Famous shoes. I was particularly fascinated by a pair of shoes worn by Marilyn Munroe. She had small feet , for those of you wondering at home . There were also a pair of Manolo Blanik Mary Janes, beautiful shoes, for those of you who could care less.
Also in my week of culture, I saw 3 movies. I saw Cassandras Dream- a Woody Allen film starring Ewan McGregor and Colin Farrel. Ahhh, it was okay , but it didn't really do it for me. I finally saw all of Charlie Wilson's War, very good , glad I saw the whole thing. Phillip Seymour Hoffman did a great job in that role and totally deserves that nomination. On Wed. a group of people from work went to see Cloverfield, the latest bid from J.J. Abrams. I think it was a great idea, a sort of Godzilla invades New York/Blair Witch project in a post 911 world. Though I did genuinely scream a couple of times , I didn't think it was all that great . I think it 's a good teenager first date type of film . My friends liked it , but , it was cheesey . If you know it's cheesey going into it, you'll have a fine time . Get pop corn.
SO , that's the latest from me. It's been cold here. The Patriots won their division and going on to the Super Bowl. I 'm going to an open call for the next Martin Scorsese film that's going to be shooting in Boston. I hope I got what it takes to be an extra on that film. That's it. See ya.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

DOTTY! I'm screaming your name in the appropriate accent for saying "You-ah so cultcha'ed."

Whose Manolo Blanik's were considered museum worthy?

(I'm gonna light a candle so's you can be directed by Martin.)

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home