Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Devil Wears Prada

Kiki and I went to see "The Devil Wears Prada" based on a best selling "Chick Lit" book from a few years ago. Kiki had read the book, I had not. However, I DO subscribe to Allure, Vogue and Vanity Fair and read 'em all cover to cover. I may not read them in a timely fashion, but I eventually get to them all. I love looking at fashion. Of course, you'd never guess that if you've met me. I wear what fits and frequently what is baggy enough to cover what is baggy about my body.
So, the movie takes place in the office of a fictional major fashion publication titled "Runway". It stars Maryl Streep, Stanley Tucci and Anne Hathaway and a couple of major models that you wouldn't know unless you follow the fashion magazines. Even Valentino makes an appearance as himself. I think Streep gave a marvelously subtle and , simultaneously, over the top performance as the maniacal Editor in Chief of the magazine. She hires Anne Hathaway's character saying that she thought she'd "take a chance on the fat girl"-Anne Hathaway is a tny little bit of a thing. Stanley Tucci plays a normal gay man. He didn't overplay it and really seemed more like the gay men I know than a caricature.
I really liked the film. There was a fair amount of fashion changes, though I think I would have liked to see some more. The shoes alone were a sight to behold. The characters live in a very self-centered, self important universe. Their overblown beliefs in their powers are not really that far off the mark, regarding how haute couture trickles down to the K-Marts and in effect give us our choices. Meryl Streep's character tells Anne Hathaway's character (who is sometimes referred to as "The Other Emily" because she can't be bothered to remember Anne's real name-It's Andrea) that the ugly outfit she was wearing had actually been designed by them 2 years before. That fashion and art affect people's lives.
I do believe that fashion and art affects people's lives, however, my own personal experience agrees that most people don't pay attention to that and consequently don't care. There's also a private life that includes her college boyfriend that she struggles to maintain her relationship with. He's that cute kid from Entourage. Andrea also gets hit on by a really handsom , and powerful writer, who has the kind of career she wants to eventually have. She has boyfriend troubles with a beautiful man and then takes solace(ie-has sex) from a powerful beautiful man.
I wish I had those problems . .. .and those shoes !
She travels to Paris because of the job. I liked the shots of Paris. I've been there, but I couldn't really remember anything significant about it. I could identify with Andrea being young and in Paris for the first time.
I could also remember clothes that used to fit me better.
I liked the movie. It won't change the world and probably won't get nominated for any major awards. The audience was packed with women, who also really enjoyed it.
I recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home