Monday, April 02, 2007

Continuing The Extra Thread

So, we had to be there at 11:30. I misjudged a couple of things and I left the house about 15 minutes after I had planned to leave. I had built in some extra time , meaning, I would arrive at exactly the time I was scheduled for instead of a little bit early (which is what I prefer to do). Storrow Drive was backed up in such a way that you couldn't see it was backed up until you got under the bridge. They were doing something with the street lights along the way / Storrow Drive is only a 2 lane , so it was cut down to 1. Then I forgot that you can't take the left once you get up to Commonwealth Avenue, so, I had to go up a couple of blocks and bang a U-ey. I had printed the directions to the Holding , so I could figure out where I was in order to walk there from wherever I had to park my car. Holding was the Auditorium of English High. Parking was at the Forest Hills train station commuter parking. I glided by the school at 11:25 ! I , found "Crew" parking (which I was not supposed to park in !) and hopped a shuttle and made it to holding by 11:32. A resaonable length of time that maybe I was there and in line ? Maybe I wandered outside the building for a minute ? Bottom line, I was there in time to look professional.
I signed in, they gave me my sheet, checked my passport and I sat down. As far away from everyboody else so that I could spread out and read my paper . And , mostly, so that I wouldn't accidentally get stuck with a Yakker. Also, from where I was sitting, I had a better vantage point to see what was going on. Every once in a while, in an Extras holding area, you will see somebody from the crew walking around looking at people. Usually , this person is looking for colors of clothing or faces to place in certain places in the background. If they're good at it, you'll never know you're being appraised like a pair of shoes.
They called for the waitresses, there were 2 of us-me and Mo. They had to look at what we were wearing and then they had to figure out which tshirt we should wear. Mo got a tight fitting white Doyle's t-shirt(very flatttering to her figure) and I got a big gray Doyle's t-shirt . With the cuffs rolled up ala the 80's style. I didn't think it was very flattering to my figure, but then again, I'm in the background, it's not going to matter how I look ! Then they sent us to hair and make-up. Mo had her hair done while I had my make-up done. I had worn light , basic make-up-brown eye-shadow and neutral lip gloss. The kind of gloss that could be wiped off easily.Then we switched chiars. The woman doing my hair was the same women who did my hair most days on Mona Lisa Smile. I think her name is Ellie. She's very nice but very quite. After we had our hair and make-up done, we all got sent to breakfast. It was a quick affair and they were out of most things. I had scrambled eggs and bacon. I would have liked to have had sausage, but I'm probably better off not having it. We had about 20 minutes to eat. There were no chairs. Most people just ate standing up. Then we were sent back to Holding.
Back at Holding they called for "1 through 10". I looked at my form , I was 4. They wanted all of us sitting at the same table because we would be in the immediate background of where the action was taking place. I sat next to Mo, so that they wouldn't have to look for the waitresses. Make it easy for them. Of course, I was right across from a yakker. A boy yakker boasted to the young man sitting next to him about , I don'tknow- girls he's broken up with and bands he's played in. I don't really know, I didn't want to listen. SO, once again, I got up and tried to move to no-man's land. As soon as I was settled , they wanted us all back at the table. Shortly after that , they brought us to the set. We walked down the hill from the school to Doyle's.
I have to continue this later. I have to get ready to go to work. I hope it posts !

2 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

I'm so going to this movie.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:02:00 AM  
Blogger Dot Dwyer said...

okay, I'll resist further description of the minutiae .

Friday, April 06, 2007 10:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home