Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It's Raining Snow

The weather that has been terrorizing the rest of the country, in particular Upstate New York, has finally turned it's menacing gaze upon New England. The weather people have been warning us for days. Some of us "smelled" the oncoming snow or felt it's imminent arrival. I thought I could "See" it on the way. Though, frankly, I was beginning to doubt we would see snow this winter. That wasn't something I was all that sad about. Finally, it arrived last night and it's still going.
It started about midnight last night. It was a fine, wispy snow. When I arrived home, I could hear it, which meant ice. By this morning, it was slush falling from the sky. Then it turned into that picturesque snow. Really pretty. The kind of pretty that momentarily makes you forget that you're going to have to shovel like crazy to get home.
The weather is really not an attractive selling point to tourists. My boss and I had a bet . I thought we'd only have 3 visitors today and she thought 7. When our third co-worker arrived she said 6. 6 is how many visitors we had , not including homeless guys coming in to use the bathroom. It was a whole lot of nothing. Also, there were puddles, lots and lots of shallow looking but deep puddles. One of the Rangers astutely observed "Tomorrow, this is all going to be ice". I concurred.
By mid day, it turned into a heavy, steady rain. The windy-ness had just started when I got on the train.
When I got to Harvard Square, my bus had just pulled in. The driver told me in some sort of Slovakian-Russian accent that he wouldn't be going the usual route tonight. Because of the snow, a major uphill road was unsafe to drive and so, we would be taking an alternate route. I was prepared to hear that. It's happened in the past. The bus stays on mainly flat land and I get to walk up the hill in the rain. There were several accidents , or at least a lot of fire engine and apparatus on the way home. I couldn't really see out the bus windows,because they were all steamed up, so I don't know what the fire engines were responding to but there were at least 3 clusters of response vehicles along the way. I couldn't see, so, I don't know what was going on. Also along the way, we pulled up behind the bus ahead of us and we saw a bus go by on it's return route. Usually the buses run every half hour or so at this time of night (Between 5-7). I don't recall seeing an other bus on the route completing it's circuit before. We were behind the bus that left 20 minutes ahead of us most of the way.
I walked home from the heights. The rain had let up a bit but it was still slippery. I had a long coat on, my leather backpack and a canvas bag filled with today's reading materials and a pair of shoes. I had waterproof boots on, thankfully. Unattractive, but oh so practical. It was slow going in the cold. It was slippery and the snow had already started to harden. Halfway home, I knew I was going to have to try and shovel a walk. There were also puddles, though no too many streams.
When I got home I tried one shovel and then another and then another. All our shovles are made of plastic. I need a spade or an icebreaker. A soup spoon would be more effective. I just couldn't dig out a path. I have no idea what it will do tonight. I think it's going to get really cold and freeze everything. I don't know. Maybe it will get really warm and it'll all be melted whe I get up in the morning !!!!
Unlikely. I'll probably be taking the bus again tomorrow. I hope this little weather report isn't annoying. Though, if it was, you probably stopped reading by now. I wish we had a spade shovel. I'll probably go to the hardware store on my lunch break tomorrow and buy an ice breaker. I have to get my car out of the driveway to go to work on Friday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Sorry. I think I threw out or sold a good ice breaker at a yard sale.

Thanks for the weather description. I remember those kinds of Februarys.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 3:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home