Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rememberances of Things Fast

Today, for some reason, I was thinking about the 2 speeding tickets I got about 10 years ago. I had never had a speeding ticket before or since. I got them within 6 months of each other.
The first one-It was a warm , spring like day , in February. The windows were down, I was driving a 1989 Dodge Ram Van. It was on Commonwealth Avenue, in Boston. Coming from Arlington Street heading toward Kenmore Square. Half way to Kenmore , there is an underpass. It's a somewhat steep dip. If you are driving at a regular pace, not much of a rush, but , if you're going even 5 miles above the speed limit, you can recreate the sensation of being on a roller coaster. Because of the weather , I was feeling giddy and daring. I sped up to enjoy the dip. It felt just like a roller coaster. When I came up on the other side, there was a motorcycle cop pulling people over. Apparently, on a warm balmy day, they catch a lot of speeders that way. I didn't think the cop would understand if my reason for speeding was "the dip". . . .
The second- I was driving back from a gig. At that time, I was doing a lot of school shows for a company that specialized in History themed shows. I think I got the job because I had a van and the set would fit in my vehicle. I was heading back to where we had to return the set. I was driving through Hyde Park. There is a long flat stretch of road over there. It's like a boulevard. A wide street , unlike most Boston streets. It was another beautiful balmy day. There was a car in front of me. She was driving slowly enough to make me want to pass her yet fast enough that I couldn't pass her. Maybe she was married to a cabbie ? They regularly drive like that in front of me. Lexus's drive like that in front of me, as well.Don't get me started on Mercedes drivers. .. . but I digress. . . . It was a Buick in front of me. For a fair bit, we did this little cat and mouse pacing. Until , finally, I made a break for it trying to pass her. Which made her speed up to keep me from passing her. SO we're both speeding, almost drag racing down this boulevard, and , eventually, there was another motor cycle cop pulling people over . With just a little flick of the finger he pulled us both over. "Trying to pass her and she kept speeding up " was not a satisfactory response to the cop.
Moral of the story ? . . . . .don't speed in good weather.
You're welcome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

I always thought my undoing would be that stretch of Route 2, which I think is Arlington, where it starts to feel like a real highway. On a sunny day, I would find myself singing to the radio and look down to see my speedometer in the '90s.

Despite dating a guy for a while who lived on the other side of that route somewhere near Great Meadow (I think), I never did get tagged.

Glad it wasn't a recent crime that had you thinking.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home