Saturday, August 13, 2005

Crumpets

When I was a teenager, I was filled with a burning desire for crumpets. I spent a couple of weeks calling bakeries, checking supermarkets and enquiring at Specialty food stores. I couldn't find crumpets anywhere. I really wanted to know what they tasted like. Where they like donuts ? Where they like crackers ? Where they sweet or salty ? I had no idea but I wanted to know.
The notion had invaded my mind by way of a Shirley Temple movie. I believe it was "The Little Princess" . Arthur Treatcher sneaks Shirley crumpets up to her attic hovel, after her fortunes have turned. Little Shirley seemd so greatful for the tiny morsel. It must have been heavenly !
So, yesterday on my way back to the flat , I stopped in to the Margiotta to get newspapers and I saw a package of crumpets ! 89p ! I had to have them . I had no idea what to expect. They are like a combination of an English muffin and a Bialys. A lot of nooks and crannies. It never really gets toasted because it's pretty moist. It's round, and has the consistency of bread dough, which I guess it is. It was fine enough, but not the culinary orgasm I was expecting. Much like my senior prom . .. .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home