Friday, August 11, 2006

The Pre-Casting Session

"Pre-Casting" it sounds slightly dirty . . . . I think I explained it briefly. The Person who will be doing the local casting "The Day Players" wanted to get a look at some people she hasn't seen in a while. I would definitely fall into that category. I am about 10 pounds heavier than I was at this time last year.It's an interesting look, but I'm not liking it much. She saw me when I went down to the Open Call for day Players for the Show Time series "The Brotherhood". The girl in line in front of me (my best friend) got a recurring role . I got an audition and a call-back, but they would have shot the scene while I was in Scotland last year, so, I didn't go to the Call-Back.
Anyway , we're instructed to have the approproate "Sides" (that's usually a section of dialogue from the movie) memorized for the audition. They e-mailed them to me and I was still avoiding the task as of bed time Wed. I worked on it at work on Thursday. One of my co-workers, Alexandra, followed the script for me on and off all day , helping with the lines. By the time I left to go to the audition , I had the lines down cold.
The audition was at the Copley Westin Hotel. I walked. Rattan slides are not good walking shoes. I made it with 5 minutes to spare, but my make-up was melted and I needed to calm down from the exertion. Nice bath rooms at the Westin. I applied pancake make-up to the really red parts of my face to look more natural on camera (or that's the theory I was going with).
Because she had to put another disc in, I had some time to talk with the Casting Director. The movie is coming in September and they'll be using the day-players in October. She'll be casting a lot of different roles. She liked the range she'd seen. SO , I slated my name and did the scene. I fumbled a couple of lines. I think it was good "Movie" acting, but I didn't really feel the lines because the context wasn't clear to me , the way they were laid out on the page. I did okay and I think I'll get a call later on.
When I got out and was leaving to get on the elevator, Julie Perkins was getting off. Much screaming and laughing transpired in seconds. She had taken the Fung Wah bus up for the audition. Because she is originally a Boston SAG member, she was eligible for the lottery. It was so great to see her. I waited until she was done auditioning and then we went to meet Mike Dorval for dinner. We went to Pizzeria Uno and sat outside because it was such a nice evening. We had Chili fries and little tiny hamburgers , nachoes, chicken quesadillas and shrimp/crab dip. The service was slow and our table was wobbly and our waitress seemed reluctant to wipe the table. Her name was Paula. She was nice, but I don't think she was well trained.
Mike drove us to South Station . Julie was getting on the bus back to New York, she had an audition Friday. I was taking the train back to Cambridge to get the bus to take me home. I got home around 10 PM. It was a long day but it was so nice to hang out with Julie and Mike.
There you have it. I have the notes for the Gone Baby Gone Blog. I just wanted to get this in today. I'm still having quirky computer problems and sometimes , when the computer finally gets going, I am distracted and unfocused.
Okay, that'll have to do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Tiny hamburgers? And, Julie and Mike?

Cool. I'm nostalgic for Angie's Clams.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 4:49:00 AM  
Blogger Dot Dwyer said...

The tiny hamburgers cost 1.99 and they were the size of a White Castle Burger. The food wasn't that bad, but I think it would have tasted better if we were all tanked. None of us were. It was just really nice to hang out with some old friends. I know Mike , but he's not really on "Old" friend. He's more like somebody I know. With enough time, he , too, can be an old friend. You , Dee- ROb , are an old friend, though the connection was made in the universe before we were born.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:52:00 AM  
Blogger Dee-Rob said...

Wait. I think you are telling me I'm old.

Monday, August 14, 2006 1:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home