Friday, April 11, 2008

9.6 Miles

So , A few weeks back, I went to see a physician mandated Nutritionist. Among the nasty things the tiny lady told me, was that I would need to implement an excercise program. Specifically, 45 minutes of an aerobic activity 4 times a week. That's a tall order for a person like me. I could squeeze in 20 or 30 minutes every so often, but 45 FOUR times a week ? I have no idea how to implement that.
SO, I had mentioned to the manager at the booth that I needed to do this thing and I didn't know how I was going to do it. I had also told her in the past that when I walk from the Common to Harvard Square , it takes about 1 1/2 hours. SO, she had the bright idea that we should do that this week. Last week, we walked to an event to kill time after work. The route we took was about an hour, we didn't walk directly. We had precedent for the walking bit. It would only be an additional half hour over our previous hike. And so, we walked to Harvard Square, by way of the Esplanade on Wed. and yesterday we walked up the Commonwealth Avenue Mall, to over the Massachusetts Ave. bridge and then down along Memorial Drive to Harvard Square. Both trips took almost exactly 1 1/2 hours. I am in pain today and I was alseep by 10 last night but we did it ! We looked at he distance on google and it's 4.8 miles from the Commmon to the Square. 4.8 x 2 = 9.6 miles. In 2 days, I was able to fulfill the 45 minutes 4 times a week .
The walk wasn't that bad and both nights were really pretty . Last night , the weather was really warm, I was a little overdressed. Frankly , I was ready to give up around 45 minutes into last nights jaunt. I didn't say anything. No one likes a quitter ! It's beautiful walking along the Charles. We saw a bunch of swans last night. It was like they were a little homeless camp of swans. There were about 20 of them just hanging around in a wooded area near the water.
We were slightly annoying to the regular users of the paths. There were a lot of runners and bikers that had to move around us. I didn't feel any hostility from anybody.
Long story short, I made the effort. I made the sweaty , hour and a half effort. It's a start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home